The Webb Deep-Sky Society Annual Meeting
The Annual Meeting is the Society's main event of the year.
There's a short AGM for Society members followed by a full day of talks by leading amateur and professional astronomers and astrophysicists.
But arguably foremost it's a chance to meet others that share a fascination with the deep-sky (and other celestial objects), chat about our favourite topics and make new friends.
Annual Meeting 2019
The date is set for Saturday the 15th of June 2019 at our normal venue: the Institute of Astronomy in Cambridge. There's no need to book in advance. Member or not, you're all welcome to turn up on the day. The doors will open at 9:30am (BST) with tea and coffee available.
The Society AGM is open to members only and is scheduled for 10:15–10:45. Guests are welcome to enjoy their coffee in peace before join us for the most important part of the day.
We now have a line-up of speakers for you in no particular order.
- Wolfgang Steinicke is back to talk about Lord Rosse and Deep Sky Astronomy at Birr Castle.
- Dale Holt will explain Video Astronomy – Going deep on the Cheap.
- George Sallit will tell us CMOS, So What!
- Andrew Robertson will give us some Double Stars for Fun.
- We'll be brought Update on Light Pollution by Bob Mizon.
- And our professional keynote will be given by Gerry Gilmore from the Institute of Astronomy on Gaia - the 3-D Galactic Census.
It's planned to include lunch time tours of the historic Thorrowgood and Northumberland telescopes.
We can cater for those with special dietary needs (e.g. coeliacs etc), but would need advanced notice to make arrangements. Please contact Steve Rayner with your requirements.
For everyone else only 70 tickets with lunch included will be available, so if you want one it's best to turn up bright and early.
Coffee, tea and biscuits will be available for everyone at registration and the breaks.
The following vendors have been invited:
And of course the Webb Deep-Sky Society will have our usual stand.
Past Annual Meetings
- Our Annual Meeting in 2018
- Our Annual Meeting in 2017
- Our Annual Meeting in 2016
- Our Annual Meeting in 2015
We produce an index of the speakers at our Annual Meetings that extends back to 1970. We'd like to thank everyone that's supported us in the past.
Our Venue: the Institute of Astronomy
The Institute of Astronomy (IoA) is a department of the University of Cambridge that traditionally plays host to the Webb Deep-Sky Society's Annual Meeting.